Saturday, February 11, 2017

Owning a Sailboat that Makes you Happy

This is my current sailboat, a Corbin 39.

Corbin 39
Jakatar sailing upwind along the Portuguese coast.
I bought the unfinished Jakatar in Canada 18 years ago and sailed it to Europe in 2002. It's ridiculously overbuilt and has never let me down in nearly 10,000 ocean miles, including a nasty mid-ocean storm.

Now that Jakatar is almost finished, this solo sailor is dreaming of a smaller boat. Jakatar was designed for a larger and perhaps younger crew dreaming of going places - maybe crossing oceans - or even living aboard.

I began this blog solely as a process for deciding which boat I want to buy - the best sailboat for coastal cruising on a budget. It's also a way to commit myself to the process, to create momentum, excitement and to set the dream on fire again. Without commitment and momentum, nothing is going to happen.

Future posts will deal with topics such as:

Why do I want a smaller boat
Where will I be sailing it
Why size is crucial
Hull type
New, used, classic or in need of repair
Budget
Equipment
etc.

More information about Jakatar, my misadventures and musings can be found on my other blog zentozero.

Any comments, suggestions, confessions, opinions or even rants are welcome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment