Monday, October 1, 2012

Smaller Boat

After an invigorating one-hour bicycle ride to Lourinha and surrounding area, Ana and I stopped at the promenade along the main beach.
Praia da Areia Branca
Praia da Areia Branca, South Beach (plus Ana's hair to the right)
Beach-side cafés
Promenade looking north, the crowd is at the far end by the cafés
A little later, from up top we gazed at the surfers and I thought about Jakatar tied up at the marina on this beautiful day for sailing. I thought of how I don't get excited about 2-hour sails going nowhere and all the work it entails in getting the boat ready and then packing everything up again. A small boat would be fun, but my 11-ton cruising machine was built for voyaging.

How about surfing, I thought? At my age, I'd feel like a dipstick on a surfboard. Besides, the water is too cold for my taste. The answer is a kayak. I found two second-hand Bic Ouassou kayaks going for 200 euros each. That may be the ticket. Easy to carry on the jeep rooftop, no maintenance and I can take it on Jakatar on my next trip.
Surfing in Portugal
Why stand and fall when you can sit and paddle and keep your hair dry

No comments:

Post a Comment