Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Gelcoat Crazing

Boat slaves never sleep. We're either working on the boat, busy making money to keep the boat running, researching about boat stuff or lying in bed thinking about the damned tub. The fact that non-boat owners can live a fulfilling life is a mystery to me.

Take note Corbin 39 owners, don't paint your overly thick gelcoat in a dark dull color. It will get really hot in the sun resulting in gelcoat crazing or cracking.
cracked gelcoat
I already knew the paint would not fill the cracks, but I have no time to fix it properly. However, the new lighter glossy paint reflects sunlight and hardly warms up at all.
Up close it looks as though it was painted with a broom. From a distance it looks great, even the boat looks clean, which it isn't.

nazare boat yard
Ready for some action out on the ocean.
Not having any translations lined up for Monday, I drove to Nazaré early in the morning in an attempt to get Jakatar ready for the splash.
Boat tools
Had to cut new bolts to size for the dripless stuffing box collar. A tidy work environment is not my forte.
I aligned the shaft to the engine and re-positioned the stuffing box collar per instructions. Lacking spacers to align the shaft, I invented a new and perhaps better way.
Here are the instructions:

  • attach the propeller shaft flange to the transmission flange with two bolts (one at the top, one at the bottom); 
  • Then hand-tightened them just enough to keep the flanges touching;
  • Next, rotate the shaft 1/4 turn and check if either bolt is slightly loose, and repeat for all positions.
In my case, the top bolt was a touch loose when it reached the bottom position. To correct this, I raised the back of the engine a wee bit and got it almost perfect...almost so I'll give it another go when I'm in the water again.

I scheduled to launch on Thursday morning, after I clean up the unbelievable mess in the boat and cockpit.

Haulout in Nazare
The port
Cheap sailboat
How much is this boat worth? Looks bankrupt to me...in other words, negative worth.


No comments:

Post a Comment