Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fort of Paimogo

Ruins on the way to Peniche. Once the home of wealthy landowners.

It's Thursday, my boat day.

I got to the marina at about 10:30 in the morning and mucked about doing nothing. Let's see, set up the laptop, the heater and the battery charger. By the time I finished doing that and some more mucking around it was lunch time.

Ever since the wind generator died, I've been charging the batteries with a regular car battery charger once per week while I'm at the boat.

I had a vague notion of reading somewhere that cheap battery chargers are no good for boats because of stray current eating up your precious metals aboard. Hum, better establish whether that's a fact or a myth.

Got the bible out, "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" by Nigel Calder and made myself comfortable in the sunny pilot house settee. Now that's what boating is all about!

After confirming that cheap chargers are not a good idea and while reading merely for fun somebody knocked on the hull.

It was Carlos, the harbour master, and the insurance adjuster who came to look at the gouges in the gel coat and the totally ruined windvane. (I was rammed by another sailboat)

The young friendly adjuster took some pictures, stared at the windvane for a moment and asked, "what does this do exactly?"

I'm a pro at explaining the ingenious and yet simple engineering of a windvane and he was quite impressed. Not with my explanation, with the windvane.

He left with a handshake and a smile. I'll see what comes of this, the bill is not cheap.

Spent a good 45 minutes planning on how to move the heat exchanger to another location beside the engine instead of over the transmission. Think I got it solved. On my way to the Algarve last year, the exchanger's bracket broke and the whole thing fell onto the transmission. No damage to the heat exchanger, but I suspect the transmission didn't like the extra heat much.

Ran the engine, dried the bilge and decided to leave early and visit the farm.

On the way, stopped by the fort just because I felt like it.
The old fort. Some dummies (politicians) ruined it by plastering the massive stone walls with yellow mortar. Really love the new Disneyland look of this fort built in 1674.
Here's how it looked prior to the facelift.
The original fort of Paimogo, as it was built


The fort once protected the bay of Paimogo from enemy ships.
At the farm, which is about 1 km from the fort.
Reminds me of the good old days when I actually farmed here for real.
The flat area below was once covered in greenhouses. The ocean is 300 m to the right
The jeep, a Suzuki Grand Vitara. Notice the fort in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment