Saturday, January 4, 2014

Storms and Marinas

I woke up in the dark to the sound of howling wind and rain pummeling the shutters, just like Windguru had forecast, plus 8.5 m waves.

Ana is visiting her family up north, so I got up right away, had breakfast, fed the cat and drove up to Peniche. I wasn't seriously worried about Jakatar; it's not as though I was expecting the hellish scene that took place in Machico, Madeira Island, a few weeks ago.

Imagine showing up at the marina and finding this. A good time to own a steel boat, I suppose.



When I arrived, the wind was already subsiding and only some waves were timidly leaping over the breakwater. There was nothing to worry about, for now.

I ran the engine engaged in reverse for 10 minutes, dried the bilges, sprayed the hydraulic fittings, the engine and the stern post with WD40 and checked the dock lines. After that I checked on the other sailboats and headed back home to WORK. Needless to say, I haven't done a stitch of work yet as I write this. 

Black water ducks
These guys are drying their feathers on a rainy day.
propane tank compartment
This French boat has a nifty rum keg used as a propane tank compartment.
The next morning I saw some photographs of what happened in late afternoon when the tide rose over 3 m.
waves in Peniche
Jakatar is docked to the left of the screen.

Winter in Peniche
Looks like a simulated waterfall

No comments:

Post a Comment